Trevor Gilman's design work has not been confined to domestic and commercial building. Work on buildings with public access includes theatres, licenced premises and churches.
The Buxton Opera House originally designed by Frank Matcham was fitted with comfortable upholstered seats in the Gallery, where previously there had only been backless padded benches. The seats were larger than the benches that they replaced, and so a new stepped floor was installed. When a suitable scheme had been devised, a full-scale mock-up was made of a section of the floor to prove the concept. A listed building planning application was submitted for this and other improvement work.
The Pavilion Gardens bandstand was built in 1997. The design for the superstructure was taken from concept drawings by the architect, Robin Fryer, and developed by Trevor Gilman into a full set of detailed manufacturing drawings. The eight Octagon windows and the corona were replaced in 1993. Trevor Gilman produced the detailed manufacturing and installations drawings
Frequently the bare description of a project understates the complexity. The 1993 Octagon windows and corona cost over £100,000. In 1986 a single staircase in a shopping centre refurbishment cost £125,000. In a similar category are two pairs of doors at Beamish Museum. They are over five metres high, and emulate 1825 building practice. Work at West India Quay involved replacing the original grain vents with modern cast iron window frames. The building is around 400 metres long, and now incorporates shops, hotel and apartments as a part of the Canary Wharf regeneration project
Other examples of Trevor Gilman's work with pubic buildings include : Blythe House (High Peak Hospice) in Chapel en le Frith, as clerk of works, looking after the interests of the Trustees; ,complex roof recovering at Steele Court and Fairfield Methodist Church in Buxton as well as a number of "Clubs".